is an artist and researcher based in Berlin exploring the societal impacts of networked data analysis technologies with a focus on computer vision, digital imaging technologies, and counter surveillance.
"The NSA declined to comment on Harvey's work, as did the Office of the Director of National Intelligence." Washington Post
Product launches, exhibitions, and events
Alongside personal projects, I frequently work as a developer for other artists. Recent projects include developing a custom computer vision toolkit for the artist Trevor Paglen, a facial recognition system for Ai Weiwei, neural networks for Constant Dullaart, and a computer vision fooling scarf for Hyphen Lab's NSAF project.
I'm based in Berlin and occasionally but reluctantly speak or consult on topics related to privacy, surveillance, and computer vision. Previous events include TEDxVilnius (2017), German Spy Museum (2017), re:publica Berlin (2016), the European Commission's Annual Security Symposium (Brussels, 2015), HOPE (NYC), Elevate (Graz, 2017), and CCC (Hamburg, 2017).
- Metalogue with Christian Marazzi - Belligerent Eyes
- Deutsches Spionagemuseum - Capabilities of facial recognition technologies
- HyperFace - International Workshop on Obfuscation
Camouflage and Media Design - HTW Fall 2016 Workshop
A one week workshop on the role of camouflage in media design at HTW Chur/Bern in Switzerland. Topics covered include camouflage theory, historical precedents, computer vision, and figure/ground relativity. Organized by Tanja Hess at HTW
Stratosphere of Surveillance - NYU Fall 2015
Stratosphere of Surveillance was a graduate class at the Interactive Telecommunications Program at New York University that explored a multitude of surveillance technologies with a hands-on approach to facilitate more informed ideas about privacy. Topics covered include: introduction to concepts of privacy and personal data, incentivized interrogation and information processing, web browsers and digital surveillance, WiFi MAC address tracking, MiTM web traffic inspection, biometrics and computer vision, expressive interference and artistic responses.
- Data and Goliath - Bruce Schneier
- A Taxonomy of Privacy - Daniel Solove
- Can Americans Resist Surveillance? - Ryan Calo
- Software That Can See Will Change Privacy Forever - Pete Warden
- do not track - Brett Gaylor
- Tech companies may be our best hope ... - Ryan Calo
- How Much Is Your Privacy Worth? - Winston Ross
- The Identification of Criminal - Ida M. Tarbell
- Identity in Flux, Q&Aon ID4Africa - Josepth J. Atick
- Think Privacy - Aksioma. Ljublijana, Slovenia. 6/2017
- Stealth Wear & Privacy Gift Shop - New Museum Store Pop-up Exhibition. New Museum Store.. 8/2013
- Think Privacy - New Museum Store Pop-up Exhibition.'. 3/2016.
- Stealth Wear - New Designs for Countersurveillance. Tank HQ. London.. 1/2013
- Welcome to Ecuador! - w/!Mediengruppe Bitnik at Zoo Galerie curated by Aude Launay. 6/2016
- Utah Museum of Contemporary Art - PANOPTICON. 2015
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts - Permanent War: The Age of Global Conflict. 2015
- CPDP2015 - CPDP2015. 2015
- Helen Day Art Center - Surveillance Society. 3/1/2014
- Aloviikt - Privacy Gift Shop. 1/1/2014
- FACELESS - Privacy Gift Shop and CV Dazzle. 10/1/2013
- New Museum Store - Privacy Gift Shop Pop-Up Store. 10/1/2013
- UTS Gallery - Trace Recordings: Surveillance and identity in the 21st century. 10/1/2013
- Gallery Project - Drones. 10/1/2013
- Drone Research Lab - Air Rights. 9/1/2013
- AND Festival - Stealth Wear: ‘Anti-Drone’ Hoodie. 8/1/2013
- Museum für Kommunikation - Control – ‘Anti-Drone’ Hoodie. 6/1/2013
- Prague Art/Sci/Tech Biennale - Biopolis. 4/1/2013
- Stealth Wear - New Designs for Countersurveillance. 1/1/2013
- Voegele Kultur Zentrum - D.E.F.E.N.C.E.. 5/1/2012
- On Stellar Rays - FaceTime. 1/1/2012
- Future Greats 2014. Art Review magazine. 2014.
- Webby Award Nominee for CV Dazzle. 2012.
- Core77 Design Award. CV Dazzle. Speculative Concepts 1st Prize (student). 2011.
In general you're welcome to use images from this site for non-commercial uses such as educational presentations. If your usage involves 3rd party commercial data trackers (ie Google Analytics) or the presentation is explicitly for commercial purposes, please send an email with details about your usage.
For print-resolution images please contact me.
- Site built using the Core77-Jekyll-Foundation Framework
- Web fonts configured with Google-Font-Download
- Unless otherwise noted, all images and text ©Adam Harvey